VELYS™ Robotic-Assisted Solution – Digital Precision in Knee Replacement
Riverwood Healthcare Center’s Dr. Erik Severson is one of the first orthopaedic surgeons in the nation to be performing knee replacement surgery with the VELYS Robotic-Assisted Solution.
Understanding your knee replacement with the VELYS™ Robotic-Assisted Solution.
A knee replacement is a procedure performed to fix the damaged parts of a knee with different types of implants1. Advanced technology like robotic-assisted devices can help your surgeon perform a precise knee replacement surgery personalized for your specific anatomy2.
Every knee is different, as is every patient requiring a knee replacement procedure.
The VELYS™ Robotic-Assisted Solution assists your surgeon in optimizing surgical outcomes. It does this by using intra operative data that’s unique to you. Your surgeon utilizes the technology during your procedure to enhance the accuracy and precision of your knee replacement to help you start moving again2.
How does the VELYS™ Robotic-Assisted Solution work?
The VELYS Robotic-Assisted Solution uses a variety of advanced technologies to ensure the surgeon has the information and tools they need to perform a highly accurate and precise knee replacement2. This solution is designed to:
- Aid your surgeon by accessing state-of-the-art technology to provide insights for real-time decision making
- Help your surgeon remove the damaged bone with accuracy. This robotic-assisted device does not move or operate on its own.
- Use an infrared camera and optical trackers to help your surgeon gather the necessary data about your anatomy to achieve a high level of precision
The VELYS Robotic-Assisted Solution works exclusively with the ATTUNE® Knee System. The ATTUNE Knee System has been provided to over 1 million patients worldwide and is designed to deliver a greater range of motion and faster recovery, so you can get back to living the life you want to live.3,4,8
How is robotic-assisted technology different?
- Technology controlled by surgeon2
- May experience less pain and faster recovery4,8
- More consistent outcomes (inconsistencies can affect recovery)
- Hand-held tool
- May experience longer recovery time 4,7-8
- Outcomes4 may change based on surgeon processes and performance
What are the benefits of using robotic-assisted technology?
There are numerous potential benefits to using this technology for your knee replacement.* During your procedure, the technology will gather details and data related to your knee to help find a favorable implant fit. Additionally, robotic-assisted technology may allow your surgeon to perform a knee replacement tailored to you, while providing both precision and accuracy during your procedure2.
- Perform knee replacement tailored to you
- Provide precision and accuracy
- Gather details and data related to your knee to find a favorable implant fit
*Findings based on studies conducted across multiple robotic-assisted total knee replacement systems.
- Johns Hopkins Medicine. Knee replacement surgery procedure. Accessed April 27, 2021. https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/treatment-tests-and-therapies/kneereplacement-surgery-procedure.
- Doan et al. Resection Accuracy Improved Using A Novel Concept For Robotic-assisted Total Knee Arthroplasty; ORS 2021 Annual Meeting Paper No. 0333.
- ATTUNE® Knee System Unit Sales 2019. DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc.
- Agarwal N, To K, McDonnell S, Khan W. Clinical and radiological outcomes in robotic-assisted total knee arthroplasty: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Arthroplasty. 2020;35(11):3393-3409.
- Etter K, Lerner J, Kalsekar I, de Moor C, Yoo A, Swank M. Comparative Analysis of Hospital Length of Stay and Discharge Status of Two Contemporary Primary Total Knee Systems. J Knee Surg. 2017. 1(212): 1-10. DOI https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0037-1604442. Premier PerspectiveTM Database analysis including 38 hospitals, representing 1,178 primary, unilateral TKAs with the ATTUNE Knee and 5,707 primary, unilateral TKAs with TriathlonTM.
- Katz JN, Mahomed NN, Baron JA, et al. Association of hospital and surgeon procedure volume with patient centered outcomes of total knee replacement in a population-based cohort of patients age 65 years and older. Arthritis Rheum. 2007;56(2):568-574.
- Cool CL, Jacofsky DJ, Seeger KA, Sodhi N, Mont MA. A 90-day episode-of-care cost analysis of robotic-arm assisted total knee arthroplasty. J Comp Eff Res. 2019;8(5):327-336.
- Mitchell J, Wang J, Bukowski B, Greiner J, Wolford B, Oyer M, Illgen R. Relative Clinical Outcomes Comparing Manual and Robotic-Assisted Total Knee Arthroplasty at Minimum 1-Year Follow-up. HSS Journal, The Musculoskeletal Journal of Hospital for Special Surgery. 2021; Vol. 17(3) 267-273.
© DePuy Synthes 2021. All rights reserved. 188295-210903 DSUS
The third-party trademarks used herein are the trademarks of their respective owners.
Please refer to the instructions for use for a complete list of indications, contraindications, warnings, and precautions.