Riverwood Healthcare Center Financial Assistance Program: Plain Language Summary
Riverwood Healthcare Center is committed to providing financial assistance to persons who have health care needs and are uninsured, underinsured, ineligible for a government program, or otherwise unable to pay. Our financial assistance program is called Community Care.
- Eligible patients are those uninsured and/or medically indigent patients who qualify for the program by meeting the income and asset guidelines.
- Must pertain to medically necessary care provided by Riverwood Healthcare Center
- Services must be billed by Riverwood Healthcare Center to be eligible for this program
- Application must be completed and returned with supporting documents
- This is not an insurance program
Program Qualifications and Discounts
- Patients with an annual gross income below 150% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines (FPG) will be awarded 100% discounts on balances due for the applicable timeframe. Above 300% of the FPG and up to $125,000 annual gross income, patients will be awarded the discount percentage calculated based on the contracts of the organizations most favored insurer. Any applicants’ with gross incomes between 150% and 300% of FPG will have their balances due subject to a prorated discount rounded to the nearest 5 percentage point increment, between 100% at the low end, and the amount generally billed (AGB) based on the 12 month lookback period for all payors described in Reg § 1.501(r)-5(b)(3). The current favored insurer rate and amount generally billed rate can be found at https://riverwoodhealthcare.org/patients/financial-assistance-program/.
- For additional information about the AGB limit, see full financial assistance policy.
- An individual who is determined to be eligible for financial assistance under this policy will not be required to pay more for emergency medical care and other medically necessary care than the amounts generally billed to individuals who have insurance covering such care.
- For more details, refer to the financial assistance policy at the url listed above.
How to Apply for Assistance and Obtain Copies
The applicant will be required to provide the following information with the application in order to determine eligibility.
- Notification of eligibility or denial from an applicable public program through Government Health Exchange (i.e., MNSure) must be provided.
- Photocopy of last year’s tax return.
- Verification of income from all sources, listing gross income for the most recent three (3) month period prior to the month in which the patient is applying.
- Photocopies of recent statements showing the balance for all savings and checking accounts, certificates of deposit, stocks, bonds, real estate, etc.
- Photocopy of the most recent property tax statements, when applicable, for all property the applicant owns (including their residence). These statements should reflect the fair market value of the property.
- Monthly expenses and number of dependents.
There are three ways to receive a Community Care application and the financial assistance policy:
- Download a copy of the financial assistance policy and application at the url listed above.
- Pick up an application and copy of financial assistance policy from the Financial Counselor located at Riverwood Healthcare Center, 200 Bunker Hill Drive, Aitkin, MN 56431
- Contact our Financial Counselor at 218-927-8284 or business office at 866-714-0508 and request a free copy of the financial assistance policy and an application be mailed to you.
Return the completed application along with the required documents to:
Riverwood Healthcare Center
200 Bunker Hill Drive
Aitkin, MN 56431
Attn: Financial Counselor
- Before any medical appointment at Riverwood Healthcare Center, check with your insurance company for coverage requirements, including whether a referral or prior authorization is needed.
- If you do not have insurance, you may qualify for Medical Assistance through your county or state.
- Riverwood Healthcare Center will bill your insurance for charges related to your visit. You will be billed for any remaining balance.
- A patient determined to be eligible for financial assistance will not be charged more than the amounts generally billed (AGB) for emergent and medically necessary care to patients who have insurance or such care.
- If you are unable to pay the balance in full or have questions regarding your coverage, please contact our office at 866-714-0508.
- A collection agency may be used when balances go unpaid.